13th century remarkable fortified site.
The fortified city of Aigues-Mortes was built in the 13th century on the order of Saint Louis to provide the kingdom of France with a port on the Mediterranean. The complex consists of 1,634 metres of ramparts flanked by twenty towers and one of the most splendid keeps in the architectural style of the Middle Ages, the tower of Constance, which was used as a prison for Protestants from the Cévennes region from 1685.
Tours et remparts d’Aigues-Mortes
> tel.: (33) (0)4 66 53 61 55
fax: (33) (0)4 66 53 79 98
> Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet, video projection in French, English, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
> Guided tour of the Constance tower in French, English, Deutsch, Italian and Spanish
> Visit with audioguide in French, English, Deutsch, Italian and Dutch
From Nîmes : A 9 til Gallargues, then N 313 et D 979 to Aigues-Mortes From Arles : Exit 4, D 570 to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, then D 38 to Aigues-Mortes From Montpellier : Exit 2, D 66, then D 62 to Aigues-Mortes