A monument dedicated to the Royal family in the heart of Paris.
Situated in the heart of Paris on Square Louis XVI, the Expiatory Chapel was built during the Restoration to commemorate the Ancien Régime and the French Revolution. Work commenced on this outstanding Neoclassical and Romantic building in 1815, under the orders of Louis XVIII. It is dedicated to the memory of the Royal family, and lies on the site of a former Revolutionary cemetery where Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette were burie in 1793, as were Charlotte Corday, the Comtesse du Barry, and Olympe de Gouges.
Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet
French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Russian
Duration: 30 min
tel.: (33) (0)1 44 54 19 30 - fax: (33) (0)1 44 54 19 31
Duration: 1 hr 30 min
With or without catering service,
outside standard opening hours
Lines 3, 12 , 13 et 14 station Saint-Lazare, lines 3 et 13, station Saint-Augustin, lines 3 et 9, station Havre-Caumartin, lines 8, 12 et 14, station Madeleine
lines 32, 43,49, 84 and 94
From la place de la Concorde : rue Royale, place de la Madeleine and boulevard Malesherbes / From gare Saint-Lazare : take exit "Cour de Rome" then rue Pasquier